[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Mon Jun 15 20:31:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM, David G. Mackay<mackay_d at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 12:35 -0700, lincohn john wrote:
>> Just curious, why not just use C/C++? thanks in advance !
>> Lincong
>
> This is a personal opinion, but C++ seems to be an exercise in
> masochism.  C is basically a high level assembly language.  Neither are
> all that portable.  Granted, for sheer speed, C is probably as good as
> you'll get.  Speed just isn't as big a factor these days.  Who knows, if
> they'd had the processing power available today back in the 80's, maybe
> we'd all be using pascal p-code systems.

If we had the processing power (and all the incredibly cheap HW that
exists today), in the 80's, I wouldn't have had to write such
efficient assembly language code... Much easier today, with cheap RAM,
etc.  C++ for an old timer, takes awhile to get an understanding of,
because of the OO, but as a book I have says, before OO, approximately
50% of the projects ended in failure. I believe that is on the low
side. Never used Pascal (wasn't that a teaching language?, but I did
use PL/M-86.