[CentOS] nvidia dual monitor setup centos howto

Dave dave at mailinator.com
Tue Jun 16 08:42:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Sorin Srbu<sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:

>>Which versions of RH or FC correspond reasonably well to
>>my version of centos?
>>uname -a
>>Linux  2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 #1 SMP Thu May 7 10:35:59 EDT 2009 x86_64
>>x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> I use CentOS 5.3 i386/x86_64 flavours

A typo erased part of the question (and more googling erased some of
the need for it). I was originally asking what howtos to look at,
since I couldn't find centos howtos. then I found wiki.centos.org.

Is it really of no interest to anyone else which rev of RH corresponds
to which rev of fedora and centos?

> If I were you I'd look more into dkms and the dkms-nvidia-packages. Those
> are more current, than the driver package in nvidia-x11*.

Useful suggestion. The wiki page I was looking at made no helpful
distinction between them, so I picked the one that sounded simpler.

> Or if all else fails, why not get the proprietary Nvidia drivers?

Well, all else did not fail. And they want me to run a script that
does I don't know what, outside the record-keeping that goes with
yum/rpm. Also, nvidia's web page made it sound like I was in for an
editing session on xorg.conf, which is beyond me. Maybe I
misunderstood.

Dave