[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:50:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 18:23 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 9:55 PM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 20:54 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>         >
>         >

>         >
>         > Hi Les, while I understand where you're coming from, I don't
>         quite
>         > agree with you. A programming language doesn't make security
>         mistakes,
>         > the coder does :)  What I'm looking for, is which
>         programming language
>         > will be best, i.e. fastest. My OS of choice would be CentOS,
>         but even
>         > then that won't make a difference either.
>         >
>         > I can do most of this in PHP, but I do think PHP is a bit
>         slow for
>         > this, being a scripting language, and not a compiled
>         language.
>

>         How now, do you figure PHP is all that slow? Since you have a
>         background
>         in PHP why not use it? Maybe your not skinning the cat right?
>         PHP is already
>         used in admin apps and it works. Create a Three Tier Web
>         Application to run
>         on the one admin server. Calls can be made via rpc or xml web
>         services to
>         the clients. May take a while to think it out in your brain
>         but it will work.
>         I do it with .Net.

> Hi John,
>
> Well, it's my understanding that compiled languages perform much
> better than scripting languages for this kind of operating, due to the
> fact that the script runs on top of the scripting engine, which in
> turn runs on top of the web server.
>
> I know a lot of control panels run either PERL, C{+/++/#}, Python.

---
Don't base your decision on speed on alone. Speed is not not everything
in life. Who cares about speed? I don't. I use slow .Net to make DCOM
and SOAP calls to do different server functions to Powershell.

Some of the biggest sites on the net run .Net and PHP and have an uptime
of infinite 9. PHP-Facebook --- Myspace-.Net. All calls for myspace are
made to .cfm? -> .Net backend. That said I believe you could do it in
PHP.

John