[CentOS] Slow CentOS VM when running off the network

Alfred von Campe

alfred at von-campe.com
Tue Jun 16 17:50:11 UTC 2009

I have a CentOS 5.3 VM running under VMware on a WIndows XP laptop.
Everything works fine when connected to the network.  However,
removed from the network, most everything in the CentOS VM takes
minutes to complete.  For instance, starting a new Terminal window
takes over 3 minutes.  I did an strace, and there are a couple of
long waits when trying to open a socket (/tmp/.ICE-unix/XXXXX for
instance).

The host and the VM can ping each other fine, but any access to the
VM (either external or from within) eventually succeeds, but it takes
a long time.  First, I thought I'd reduce the default socket timeout
(which I believe is set to around 90 seconds), but I can't find where
to do that on a system wide level.  But I really need to figure out
what is causing the problem in the first place.  I'm assuming the
network is somehow misconfigured, but I don't know how.

Alfred