[CentOS] CentOS 4.7 hanging after logout

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jun 17 19:50:02 UTC 2009

gillbates wrote:
> I'm running CentOS 4.7. I'm having the following problem:
>
> On
> logging out from a GNOME session (Actions -> Log Out -> Log Out),
> the computer simply hangs. The Caps Lock and Scroll lock keys on the
> keyboard are flashing. I can ping it from another computer, but
> services like VNC and Webmin won't work anymore.

Keyboard LEDs flashing like that usually mean the system has crashed.

> What should I do to troubleshoot the issue? Which log files should I check?

You can try to check the logs in /var/log but frequently these types of
crashes are not logged.

One thing you can do is setup kdump:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-6039

I'm old fashioned though and just setup a serial console, since it
sounds like it is easily reproducible that's even better.

nate