[CentOS] suggestions for installing CentOS 5 via USB?

Rogelio

scubacuda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 04:39:52 UTC 2009

I'm having problems installing CentOS via a USB drive.

First, I tried using Unetbootin, but with no avail. The 8MB netinstall
doesn't work, and the big DVD image doesn't work either.

http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

Then I tried this

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-centos-5-live-install-via-windows/

with a CentOS DVD file, and that did not work (just hangs). I tried to
use the live cd, but then found out that I cannot install the OS with
the live cd (like you can with Ubuntu).

I don't have easy access to Linux or spare computers, so I used my
Windows laptop to dd to the USB.

C:\installs\dd>dd if=c:\installs\CentOS-5.3-i386-bin-dvd.iso
of=\\.\Volume{5a5e4
fb1-b53a-11dd-b7f4-001492190322} --size --progress bs=1M
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
Written by John Newbigin <jn at it.swin.edu.au>
This program is covered by the GPL.  See copying.txt for details
3,971,014,656
3787+1 records in
3787+1 records out

Then I tried to install the bootsect.bin bit

C:\installs\mkbt>mkbt -x d: bootsect.bin
* Expert mode (-x)
Size=0bytes OEM="" VolLabel="" FileSys=""