[CentOS] NAS Storage server question

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Jun 18 13:28:42 UTC 2009

Coert Waagmeester schrieb:
> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 22:59 +0200, Giuseppe Fuggiano wrote:
>
>> 2009/6/11 Coert Waagmeester <lgroups at waagmeester.co.za>:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>> Hi,
>>

>>> At our office a have a server running 3 Xen domains. Mail server, etc.
>>>
>>> I want to make this setup more redundant.
>>>
>>> There are a few howtos on the combination of Xen, DRBD, and heartbeat.
>>> That is probably the best way.
>>>
>> I am using a combination of DRBD+GFS.  Since v8.2, DRBD [1] can be
>> configured in dual-primary mode [2].  You can mount your local
>> partitions in r/w mode using a Distributed Lock Manager and GFS.  It
>> works pretty well in my case, both my partitions are correctly
>> replicated at device block level.  Please, note that with this
>> solution you have to configure a fence device to preserve the file
>> system integrity.  The DRBD documentation contains everything you need
>> to realize this solution.
>>
>> [1] http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/
>> [2] http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-dual-primary-mode.html
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Hello,
>
> Thanks, I will give this a bash, trying to set up GFS now. (very hairy!)
>
> What is you guys opinion on OCFS and GlusterFS? Or am I better off
> sticking with GFS?

Have it setup by someone who knows what he's doing and who can bail you
out in case it goes boom.

Otherwise, you just introduce another layer (or two) of complexity that
gives you no additional uptime over the one a simple-setup, solid server
from HP/IBM/Sun (or maybe even Dell) + a UPS will give you.

What were your primary reasons for outages over the last two years?

Rainer