[CentOS] suggestions for installing CentOS 5 via USB?

Thu Jun 18 18:32:09 UTC 2009

John Doe wrote:
> Here's how I did my USB key (minus the kickstart part) but you need a linux (in a VM or from the live CD)...
> And you will have to change devices names!

Cool!  Any problems with the bug mentioned in the release notes about
/boot being written to a USB key, or does that only happen with
diskboot.img?

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.3

"When using diskboot.img to install from a USB drive, anaconda tries to
install GRUB on the USB drive rather than on the local HDD. Removing the
USB drive after getting into the GUI (before the partitioning section)
works around this problem."

Would you be interested in doing a Wiki article on this, or alternately,
would you approve if I used your material for one?

I already took the liberty of posting the procedure as an answer to a
related thread on the Forum, with credit of course:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=20641&forum=37

Thanks,
Phil