[CentOS] Which external WiFi device for laptop running CentOS 5.3?

David McGuffey

davidmcguffey at verizon.net
Thu Jun 18 14:38:03 UTC 2009

Have decided to give up on the embedded Broadcom 4312 wireless device in
my son's Dell laptop.  I get WEP open authentication to work, but
nothing else.  I was about to dump the bcm43xx kernel module and the
bcm43xx-microcode5.fw firmware and work with the newer b43 module and
associated firmware.  However, he claims that at school, he has always
had intermittent problems with wireless under Vista and wants an
external device (USB or PCMCIA).

So...if you had a clean slate, which make & model would you buy for
mindlessly easy installation and use under CentOS 5.3?

Dave