[CentOS] Which external WiFi device for laptop running CentOS 5.3?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jun 19 13:22:48 UTC 2009

> Have decided to give up on the embedded Broadcom 4312 wireless device in
> my son's Dell laptop.  I get WEP open authentication to work, but
> nothing else.  I was about to dump the bcm43xx kernel module and the
> bcm43xx-microcode5.fw firmware and work with the newer b43 module and
> associated firmware.  However, he claims that at school, he has always
> had intermittent problems with wireless under Vista and wants an
> external device (USB or PCMCIA).
>
> So...if you had a clean slate, which make & model would you buy for
> mindlessly easy installation and use under CentOS 5.3?

Most of the 'embeded' wireless cards are actually mini-PCI cards.  If
you could beg/borrow/steal an Intel ipw2100 or ipw2200 mini-PCI card and
swap that in you would have a completly painless wifi solution. I don't
know of any current model PCMCIA cards that will be as painless.  You
might find an older Prism-type card on E-Bay -- those cards are pretty
close to painless.