[CentOS] One of my servers crashed, need help

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Fri Jun 19 23:19:32 UTC 2009

> > Be prepared to restore from a backup too, doesn't look good.
> >

> No need to...Seagate screws me again. 3rd bad hard drive on
> this server.
> Unbelievable. Under warranty, but...grrrr.

One tip I try to adhere to, although hard to follow when setting up a new
computer is this...

Try to get drives from different manufacturing batches. Buy from different
online stores, talk to the cust service of places like newegg, etc...

If you buy a drive that was part of a bad batch the drive may still survive.
The likely hood of it having an issue is high though. If that batch has
problems there is high probablility all your drives in that batch can go
bad.

Hard to take the time, but seems worth it. If one fails, all can fail if
from the same batch. Lessen odds, buy different batches.