[CentOS] card reader not responding

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Sat Jun 20 14:03:02 UTC 2009

Michael Klinosky wrote:

> So, one problem seems to be that I'm unfamiliar with modprobe; what's
> wrong? Do I need to install something?

In my experience at least many card readers that are integrated
into laptops have compatibility issues with linux. It may be
possible to get them working but often it is more difficult than
it's worth and your better off with an external USB reader.

In this case the FATAL messages mean the drivers aren't there.
CentOS isn't really made to be a desktop OS, though it certainly
can be used as one. The downside is that it's drivers are often
much older or not available compared to systems like Ubuntu and
Fedora. Though in general CentOS should be more stable, in part
because it does not have those types of drivers, it'll get them
when they are (hopefully) really solid and tested.

You can try to find the drivers yourself and compile them from
source but I think for you is probably more trouble than it's
worth given my impression of your linux experience. I suggest
just getting a compact USB SD card reader.

Some phones like my Sanyo can present themselves as USB storage
to a computer as well when connected. I'm not sure if your phone
can, if so that could be another option.

nate