[CentOS] ssh security

fabian fabian at baladia.gov.kw
Sat Jun 20 21:17:30 UTC 2009

>> > [Normal log stuff from dictionary attack deleted...]
>>
>> This is common, and, presuming you have good passwords or only
>> accept authorized_keys, not a real problem other than large log
>> files.
>>
>> Look at fail2ban for a method that will automatically add
>> iptables blocks when this occurs.
>>

> yes fail2ban is very useful. but also good to change to a non standard
> port.

Thanks guys,

The problem was solved after using a non standard port for ssh.
but wht was confusing was that the secure logs of my mail server was
showing ssh logs
i passwordless login since backuppc needs it but using authorized keys

but wonder how it was gettin through my firewall

but also if i had to ssh from the outside network i could see the firewall
droppin my ssh request

quite confusing

any for about 24 hrs i dont hav any ssh messages in my mail server secure
logs

regrads

simon

> --