[CentOS] Program to ban sniffers

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 03:25:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Joseph L.
Casale<JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>However if you are referring to packet sniffers there is no solid way of blocking them.
>
> How exactly would I sniff the packets from say my work computer between
> someone's home computer and work server?

Very carefully... as it sounds like you'd be potentially crossing
legal/ethical lines...  Why would you sniff from your "home" computer?
 If you are the sysadmin, then you sniff from the server and from home
you could ssh to your server to check logs of course.

On a more technical note, you have to be on the same subnet of either
the point of origin or the destination machine.  In other words at one
of the two choke points.  That is short of having some tool installed
on the other person's home computer which again crosses that line.
You obviously can't be at the home user's choke point because what
lawful authority would you have to be sniffing on that subnet owned by
his ISP?

Jacques B.