[CentOS] link to "commercial support" page isn't really helpful

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 00:11:22 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> On 06/22/2009 12:32 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>    again, no, i'm *not* the right person.  i'm not a centos
>>> developer and, therefore, i have no idea what options the
>>> developers might be looking at in terms of support channels.
>> lets assume for a minute, that there is no real 'endorsement' or
>> 'commercial support venue' that the CentOS developers are
>> considering - What would then be the reasons to choose CentOS ?
>
>   i may not have time to address this a lot more this evening as i'm
> hanging out at logan airport waiting to board my plane.  but don't
> conflate the two issues here.
>
>   the first issue is:  why choose centos?  and i can certainly address
> that.  it's easy to show that it's a good product and why.  i have no
> difficulty with that.

Or, you have experience with the RH admin tools and style, and you are the part
of the community that Red Hat abandoned when they prohibited redistribution of
their binaries.  While CentOS has served this purpose very well, philosophically
I can't help wondering if we wouldn't all be better off if the community they
abandoned had just walked away.  It's too bad Ubuntu LTS wasn't around at the time.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com