[CentOS] link to "commercial support" page isn't really helpful

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Mon Jun 22 00:43:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  from a promotional standpoint, i would avoid getting into that
> centos is a volunteer effort, and i would *seriously* avoid using the
> word "difficulty."  all i was suggesting earlier is that there are a
> number of ways to admit that centos has no *official* support channel,
> and that it would be useful to, even in admitting that, word it in
> such a way to not scare away potential adopters.
>
>  talk to someone with a marketing background.  seriously.  all you
> need to do is admit that there's no support, but word it carefully so
> that it doesn't seem like a big deal.  just give people the warm
> fuzzies.  that's all they're looking for.

What about "We cannot fix bugs in CentOS" ? (*)

I am sure that is a terrible thing to say to someone who wants CentOS
support, but I wouldn't want anyone to believe otherwise.

Only Red Hat can fix bugs in CentOS, so if you say "support" and you mean
"fixing bugs", then Red Hat is where you need to get support.

(*) In my presentations about CentOS that is exactly what I say. I want
people to move to CentOS for the right reasons, not for some wrong
assumption because someone with a marketing background wants to hide the
truth.

If your business relies on CentOS, you'd better be sure Red Hat stays in
business and is a market leader. Because you benefit from that as much as
any Red Hat customer.