[CentOS] link to "commercial support" page isn't really helpful

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Mon Jun 22 08:15:49 UTC 2009

> "Commercial support is currently unavailable, although this is being
> investigated by the community. The difficulty is that CentOS is a
> volunteer run effort."
>
> Don't overreact Spiro. I really like your blurb, but the difficulty
> sentence
> has a negative ring. Please rephrase that single line and you get a
> gold-star. ;-)

I (amicably) object to the "currently unavailable" phrase.  As has been
mentioned support is available.  I would suggest the following change:

Currently the Centos Project cannot endorse any specific support offering
and does not directly offer commercial support.  Support is available from
third party consultants and firms.

Volunteer support is available via IRC (channel #centos), Centos mailing
lists and the Centos forums.

I would avoid making any promises like "we are working on a support program"
or "working on an endorsement program" simply because there is no telling
when such a program would get rolled out.  Keeping people waiting around for
a long time is not so good for the Centos image.

FWIW, I think we should lighten up on the original poster. He asked a simple
question, he got an answer.  There's no need to beat up on each other...  it
is not constructive.

-geoff

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Germany