[CentOS] link to "commercial support" page isn't really helpful

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jun 22 10:04:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Sorin Srbu wrote:

> "Commercial support is currently unavailable, although this is being
> investigated by the community. The difficulty is that CentOS is a
> volunteer run effort."
>
> Don't overreact Spiro. I really like your blurb, but the difficulty
> sentence has a negative ring. Please rephrase that single line and
> you get a gold-star. ;-)
>
> I see Day's point, this is really a "soft value", the touchy feely
> stuff, nothing technical, and it's not about lying either, it just
> sounds negative, that's all.

  that is *exactly* the point i was trying to make -- words have
emotional content, so avoid the ones with the *wrong* emotional
content.  and, yes, when it comes to promoting a product, sometimes it
*does* come down to touchy feely stuff.

rday

p.s.  let me make it clear why i'm being so obnoxious at the moment
about this. a local company currently supports their software suite on
linux on suse only.  they're getting more call for RH support.  i'd
like to suggest they consider centos because i might get some support
business out of it.  as part of their consideration, they will
undoubtedly go to centos.org and poke around, and i want them to be
happy with what they read there, and not be scared off.  and maybe,
out of the goodness of their hearts, they'll donate to centos because
they like it so *everybody* wins.

does that clear things up a bit?  :-)

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday