[CentOS] link to "commercial support" page isn't really helpful

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 22 16:20:29 UTC 2009

Bent Terp wrote:
<snip>

> From my personal experience, we've received better support from CentOS
> than from RedHat!
> What you don't get is a phone-droid that's being paid minimum wages to
> listen to phone abuse.....
I'm with you on that one.  My first stab at Linux was in '99 when I
bought an official boxed set of RH6.0, which was supposed to include
"installation support".  Stuff wasn't nearly as automatic then as it is
now. (Pre-CUPS) printing was a pain, network was a pain, dial-up was
worrisome and even X-Window was iffy.  I called, your phone-droid
answered and I soon decided that if RH6.0 was gonna be a reality, I
would be doing it myself.

Since CentOS, this mailing list has been amazingly helpful, often
astonishingly quick with a right-on answer.

And, to RedHat's credit, simple networks now "just happen", printing is
a breeze and I'm even tempted to allow this thing to boot directly into
run level 5.