[CentOS] Make sshd log IP addresses, not hostnames

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:34:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:21, Scott Moseman<scmoseman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I adjust the ssh daemon to log IP addresses instead of hostnames?

You can disable all DNS lookups by adding this line to /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

UseDNS no

This will probably accomplish what you want.

> I assume this situation is feasible...
> * 10.10.10.10 attempts to ssh to the server
> * reverse dns resolves to "somehost.domain.com"
> * ssh daemon logs "somehost.domain.com" in messages
> * foward dns on "somehost.domain.com" resolves to 10.10.10.20
> Thus it causes some of my scripts a problem if the DNS resolutions
> don't match.  It would be nice if it could just log IP addresses only.

I believe the OpenSSH server will only log and use domain names if the
forward DNS matches the reverse DNS, otherwise it will probably log
the IP only (as if there was no reverse DNS for the IP) and maybe even
log a warning that forward and reverse do not match. I haven't tested
that recently, but that is how I would expect sshd to work...

HTH,
Filipe