[CentOS] link to "commercial support" page isn't really helpful

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 20:28:30 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Scott Silva wrote:
>
>> If they want commercial support, what is wrong with RedHat? That is
>> what they do. CentOS is a "community supported" enterprise distro.
>> Most organizations that want support usually look for an established
>> business entity.
>>
>>  Besides, paid contracts at the top of the food chain keeps the
>> scraps floating down to the rest of us. If RedHat ever sees CentOS
>> as a competition, they will surely do something to make it more
>> difficult.
>
>   you're right, and i'm starting to appreciate the distinction people
> have been pointing out to me.  that still means the "commercial
> support" page should be clarified to make that obvious in some way.

The obvious way is that someone running mostly Centos can duplicate
their problem on a supported RHEL machine if other approaches fail
because of the degree of compatibility.  I'm not sure if you'd want to
come out and say that officially, though.  However, if RH has any sense
at all, they'll realize that the only reason they have any customers
left after the fedora split other than a few companies that can afford
to license every machine is because Centos lets them do this.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com