[CentOS] RHEL, centos and seeing if i now understand this

Robert P. J. Day

rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jun 23 09:57:19 UTC 2009

  ok, given the flurry of responses to my original post, let me see if
i have a handle on this as i think i've finally figured it out and,
yes, it does make sense.

  the scenario is that there is a very large software company in the
area whose only officially supported linux platform is currently suse.
however, they are getting increasing call to have their product run on
red hat.

  for most of their clients (who are fairly sizable) who will want
official support, RHEL will be the obvious choice and the software
company will advertise that RHEL is what they support.  the SW company
will be happy, the clients will be happy, and red hat will be happy.

  on the other hand, if there is the occasional client who is perhaps
not as large, or doesn't have a budget for RHEL, centos will be the
obvious option if they're prepared to do their own support.  that
scenario will, i'm guessing, not be that common so red hat has nothing
to worry about it in terms of cutting into their revenue stream in any
significant way.

  and, finally, for any client that chooses centos, that will
represent a possible support contract for independent linux
consultants.

  sound about right?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday