[CentOS] How do I change passwords / remove users for Samba?

Kevin Thorpe kevin at pibenchmark.com
Tue Jun 23 10:34:58 UTC 2009

Sorry, I've still got problems.

I'm trying to set up a new Samba user. I've done useradd to put them in
passwd, I've done smbpasswd to set a samba password. They're in the
required group (spendtrak) for this share. I've even restarted samba.
When I try and connect to the share with 'connect using a different
username' form XP it just keeps asking me for the password. I can
connect to the share as myself, but not if I define myself as the
'different user name'. Is there a log anywhere which will tell me what's
going wrong with the login.

Sorry, but this is frustrating the hell out of me.

  # share for spendtrak
[spendtrak]
         comment = Spendtrak Files
         path = /home/spendtrak