[CentOS] How do I change passwords / remove users for Samba?

Brett Serkez bserkez at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 11:16:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Kevin Thorpe<kevin at pibenchmark.com> wrote:
> On 23/06/2009 11:39, Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> Well I finally worked it out. Reboot Windows then it works. Bah! Stupid
> Microsoft. Wasted half my morning because Windows is broken.

Windows "helpfully" remembers your username and password for the
duration of your login.  A logoff and back in would had sufficed.

What I have found is that Windows remembers username and password per
host, so once you connect to a share on a given host with a particular
username and password, you cannot connect to the same host with a
different username and password.

One work around is to use the "netbios aliases" feature which allows a
server to have multiple names on a network.  This would allow you to
connect to the same server with different user names during the same
Windows session as it would think you are connecting to a different
host.

Brett