[CentOS] Minor dovecot/KMail problem

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jun 23 13:44:33 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:
>>> But I have worked out that the cause of the problem
>>> is that there exists a kind of ghost folder, "uidvalidity",
>>> which is listed among the folders on the kmail page
>>> but does not in fact seem to exist in my maildir on the server.
>>>
>>> Deleting the folder under kmail has no permanent effect;
>>> it simply re-appears when I re-start kmail.
>>>
>>> I assume the folder is listed in some way in the dovecot.index ;
>>> and my question really is: if I delete this index file
>>> will it be re-created automatically?
>>>
>>> This bug/feature seems to have been present for years,
>>> which I suppose is par for KDE.
>
> Years?  Bugs filed?  If so, where?

At random, here is one from 2006:
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=364953>

When I google for "Error while getting folder information"
I get reports going back for several years,
without, as far as I can see, any clear resolution or even explanation.

> Could very well simply be a bug in dovecot and/or incompatibility between
> dovecot/kmail.

Well, it seems to occur equally often under courier-imap .

I have solved the problem in my case, without understanding it.

KMail appears to show a folder, College=>inbox=>uidvalidity
But I don't find any such folder anywhere in ~/Maildir/ .
I've no idea if this phantom folder should be present,
and if so what it means.

This folder had the setting, "Include this folder in mail checks".
After unchecking this box (which I did not check in the first place)
the problem goes away - I no longer get an error/warning
when I Check Mail in KMail.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net