[CentOS] Minor dovecot/KMail problem

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jun 23 17:26:16 UTC 2009

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

>>> At random, here is one from 2006:
>>> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=364953>
>
> Timothy, did you read that web page?
>
> An excerpt:
>> I figured out how this bug could be resolved. KMail has introduced a
>> configuration option for imap folders that allows you to mount a lot of
stuff
>> as a KMail folder. The present default is to look for things to mount
>> *everywhere* on the mail server. In my case KMail wrongly recognized some
>> files/folders from my server as imap folders. When I tried to remove them
>> accidentally destroyed some data, so yeah this bug had been a pain. It
took
>> me a while before I figured out that this was supposed to be a "feature".
It
>> was under 'Namespaces' configuration within 'Modify Account' dialog box.
>
> Did you try to solve your problem with the suggested approach above?

To be honest, I had not read that web-page;
I simply gave the URL as an example of the fact that the problem/feature
seems to have been around for several years.

But having read the web-page, I still do not really understand.
In my case there is a folder "uidvalidity" listed by kmail,
but there is no file or directory with that name on the dovecot server.

I can't think of any rational reason why KMail should want to invent
a folder with this name.

I don't think the suggested approach makes any sense in my case,
as there is nothing relevant under the Namespaces heading
(in Modify=>Advanced).

I guess that for me it is just one of those mysteries
which will never be solved, like why Fiat bought Chrysler.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net