[CentOS] RHEL, centos and seeing if i now understand this

Spiro Harvey spiro at knossos.net.nz
Tue Jun 23 21:09:41 UTC 2009

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>   ok, given the flurry of responses to my original post, let me see if
> i have a handle on this as i think i've finally figured it out and,
> yes, it does make sense.

This also would have been clear had you done some research in advance
of your postings here -- not very thorough for someone who appears to
have to support himself (and possibly his family) via consultancy work.

Ask yourself: What does paying money to Redhat get me? And then go read
up on their website.

I can save you some of the trouble; in addition to a shiny box with
pressed CDs, and phone number to call, a subscription to Redhat
support also gets you the Redhat Network (RHN) which is worth the money
in itself. In fact, when I last looked at it a couple of years ago, it
was superior to Sun's equivalent.

FWIW, you may have received a warmer response initially had you come to
us with problems, not solutions to perceived problems. It's not that
we don't appreciate your position, it's just that your approach was
wrong. A bit of research helps you and it saves us rehashing stuff that
has been covered before, or obvious to those in the community.

--
Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923                    www.knossos.net.nz