[CentOS] Slow CentOS VM when running off the network

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Wed Jun 24 09:45:14 UTC 2009

> I've mostly used the free VMware server and player, but thought the
> networking
> support was about the same as Virtualbox.  What have you found that is
> significantly different?  So far I mostly prefer VMware server for the
> ability
> to run the console and disconnect/reconnect where with virtualbox you seem
> have to decide ahead of time if you want a console or not - but I'm not a
> big
> fan of the new web console in the 2.x series.

There are two major issues I've had with VMWare Workstation that have
not occurred in VirtualBox:

1)  When the host network connection comes and goes (either intentionally or
otherwise) the networking to and from VMWare VMs fail completely and cannot
be restored without a host reboot.

2)  DHCP via an external system (router/gateway) often fails to the VMs with
nothing more than timeout errors in the VM logs.

VirtualBox has issues to, as does most software, so I end up using both to
get all of my testing and simulations done.

-geoff

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Germany
http://www.galitz.org/