[CentOS] Unexplained reboots in DRBD82 + OCFS2 setup

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jun 24 14:22:48 UTC 2009

Kris Buytaert wrote:

> We're trying to setup a dual-primary DRBD environment, with a shared
> disk with either OCFS2 or GFS.   The environment is a Centos 5.3 with
> DRBD82 (but also tried with DRBD83 from testing) .

Both OCFS2 and GFS are meant to be used on SANs with shared storage(same
LUNs being accessed by multiple servers), I just re-confirmed that DRBD
is not a shared storage mechanism but just a simple block mirroring
technology between a couple of nodes(as I originally thought).

I think you are mixing incompatible technologies. Even if you can
get it working, just seems like a really bad idea.

Perhaps what you could do is setup an iSCSI initiator on your DRBD
cluster, export a LUN to another cluster running OCFS2 or GFS(last I
checked GFS required at least 3 nodes less than that and the cluster
goes to read-only mode, I didn't see any minimum requirements for
OCFS2).

Though the whole concept of DRBD just screams to me crap performance
compared to a real shared storage system, wouldn't touch it with
a 50 foot pole myself.

nate