[CentOS] Web photo gallery options

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Jun 24 22:38:25 UTC 2009

Am 24.06.2009 um 23:59 schrieb Bart Schaefer:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 9:09 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
>>
>> Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>
>>> My requirements are only that the software should be simple to
>>> install,
>>> maintain and add more photos. I'm not a pro (a newbie more like
>>> it...) when
>>> it comes to mysql and php, so this needs to be easy to do as well,
>>> from the
>>> gallery standpoint.
>>
>> I like gallery v1 myself and have used it for years. I tried gallery
>> v2 but it was too complicated to use(and hated the themes it came
>> with
>> I just wanted something plain), I just wanted something
>> simple. It doesn't use a (SQL) DB, it does do auto resizing of
>> pictures when you upload them.
>
> Does anyone know of something REALLY simple?  As in, using nothing but
> a directory hierarchy, CSS, and possibly some Javascript?

Well, since somebody mentioned dot-net, I think I'm entitled to say
that Apple's iWeb does the above ;-)

Personally, though, I use gallery2 for most purposes. It has a Java
app that you can use to upload hundreds of images at once. Well, as
"at once" as your upload bandwidth allows.

The setup is really simple. A lot of open-source apps nowadays come
with "installers" that ask you about the database etc. Gallery2 does
that, too.

I don't see why anybody on this mailing-list should be incapable of
mastering this task.

You just upload the unpacked gallery2 directory to your webspace,
create a db and a corresponding user with phpmyadmin and enter those
details into gallery2's installer.

Rainer