[CentOS] Web photo gallery options

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jun 25 15:47:51 UTC 2009

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Kevin Kempter<kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you familiar with Joomla? It has some easy web gallery plugins. Also
>> tools like aperature and lightroom will generate a web gallery for you from
>> a set of images.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion, but ... to be more explicit, the situation
> for which I'm (not very hopefully) seeking a solution is one in which
> the web host is both dumb and restrictive.  They are not running
> Apache, they don't supply PHP or a CMS or a database, and they don't
> allow user-uploaded CGIs of any sort to be executed.  The full extent
> of server-side customization possible is to drop a file called
> "index.htm" in the directory which will then be served up instead of a
> dumb listing.  Everything else has to happen in the browser.

oh.

check into JAlbum, which builds albums -ahead- of time, and uploads them
as static HTML + thumbnails + 'slides' + optional originals... it has
100s of templates for different visual themes, many of which are fairly
interactive (usuing browser-side javascript)

By doing all the resizing and stuff in advance, you greatly alleviate
the workload on the server.