[CentOS] setup VLAN without primary LAN?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jun 25 18:08:15 UTC 2009

mcclnx mcc wrote:
> we would like setup VLAN on CENTOS 5.X and 4.x.  Only VLAN will active, but primary LAN NOT active.  E.g "eth0" inactive, but "eth0.2" active.
>
> I have been tried several ways, but never successful.
>
> Any ideal?

I have a host that is running IPv6 on a number of VLANs on eth1, as it
is my RADVD server.  There is no addressing on the 'default' VLAN:

ifcfg-eth1:

# Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:50:8B:A5:17:0B
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=xxx.htt-consult.com
VLAN=yes

Whereas  ifcfg-eth1.11:

# Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100
DEVICE=eth1.11
BOOTPROTO=none
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no