[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 and NTFS

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Sun Jun 28 01:20:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, Alan McKay wrote:

>> The fuse module is built by dkms.  Make sure you have the kernel devel
>> package that *matches* your running kernel.  What is the output of:
>>
>> uname -mr
>>
>> and
>>
>> rpm -qa kernel\* | sort
>
> [root at localhost ~]# uname -mr
> 2.6.18-128.el5 i686
>
> [root at localhost ~]# rpm -qa kernel\* | sort
> kernel-2.6.18-128.el5
> kernel-devel-2.6.18-128.1.14.el5
> kernel-headers-2.6.18-128.1.14.el5
>
> OK, what next?

Make sure your kernel and your kernel-devel versions match:

 	2.6.18-128.el5
and	2.6.18-128.1.14.el4

are not the same version. You can have more than one kernel and more than
one kernel-devel package installed at the same time.

But what is far the easiest solution is to head over to the elrepo
repository at:

 	http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el5/i386/RPMS/

and then download the package for your kernel:

 	http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el5/i386/RPMS/kmod-fuse-2.7.4-1.el5.elrepo.i686.rpm

Install that by doing, eg.

 	rpm -Uhv http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el5/i386/RPMS/kmod-fuse-2.7.4-1.el5.elrepo.i686.rpm

and all should be fine. No need for dkms, dkms-fuse, kernel-devel,
kernel-headers or a compiler. I recommend it nowadays over any dkms
packages.

Good luck and please report back !