[CentOS] server is always getting hacked

Sander Snel zander.snel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:00:01 UTC 2009

On 06/27/2009 09:21 PM, Mag Gam wrote:

sane and simple security management for linux systems:
1. only open ports in iptables which are being used, if possible with
source address or source network.
2. use hosts.allow/deny rules for services if applicable, this adds
another layer of security.
3. check logs often, use a central loghost
4. SSH: no root login, only dedicated users, only dedicated source
addresses, only key based access or kerberized access, no standard port
5. enable SELinux
6. use some kind of intrusion detection, like aide (standard in centos)
or snort
8. use fail2ban to deny ipaddresses with several failed login attempts
within a short period of time
9. clear your shell's history on logout
10. use sudo instead of su -
11. check bastille.org for hardening
12. check center for internet security for benchmarks, they provide very
detailed information for hardening servers ( csisecurity.org )
13. use chattr -i for several key configuration files, so they cannot be
changed or deleted

this should get you started, good luck

Sander