[CentOS] server is always getting hacked

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:39:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Sander Snel<zander.snel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/27/2009 09:21 PM, Mag Gam wrote:
>
> sane and simple security management for linux systems:
> 1. only open ports in iptables which are being used, if possible with
> source address or source network.
> 2. use hosts.allow/deny rules for services if applicable, this adds
> another layer of security.
> 3. check logs often, use a central loghost
> 4. SSH: no root login, only dedicated users, only dedicated source
> addresses, only key based access or kerberized access, no standard port

PortKnocking so the open port changes continuously.

and / or

tinc-vpn / hamachi so the port is only open to another member of your
tinc network.  Since there there are hundreds-of- thousands or
millions of infected web servers out there serving up malicious
drive-by javascript, use noscript on any machine connected to a
server.

Reemphasize watching cms (joomla and the like) plugins.