[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Mon Jun 29 15:46:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:40:49AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> >
> > OTOH, Dag is in a funny position: he's the main maintainer of RPMforge,
> > which has 2 main issues:
> > (1) It's broken, at least partially. Try install audacious for one.
> > (2) It's incompatible with EPEL. Try install MPlayer and VLC with EPEL
> > enabled.
>
> I don't like this situation either, but when 2 repositories have conflicts,
> shouldn't the one that has been serving people longer have some consideration by
> the newer players?  That is, shouldn't EPEL work to avoid conflicts with
> pre-existing, well known repositories?

Attempts were made, failed for various reasons and the whole thing can
be read about in various mailing list archives and/or IRC logs...

Perhaps new attempts could be made?  As for me, I'm more comfortable
with EPEL and its Fedora-vetted packages and use rpmforge only for a
few things.  The two are definitely *not* compatible. :-)

Ray