[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jun 29 18:34:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

>> A quick look at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos
>> shows that a great majority of the packages are not even
>> close to being "up-to-date", and that is a good thing for
>> those us of who care more about stability than eyecandy.
>
> That can't be other way. For instance, you can't build GIMP 2.4 or 2.6
> unless you you upgrade to a newer GTK+, which would impact on a lot of
> apps.
>
> OTOH, Dag is in a funny position: he's the main maintainer of RPMforge,
> which has 2 main issues:
> (1) It's broken, at least partially. Try install audacious for one.
> (2) It's incompatible with EPEL. Try install MPlayer and VLC with EPEL
> enabled.

  (1) I expect now patches from you to make a workable audacious based on
      our audacious package. Apparently you have the interest and the time
      to do it ?

  (2) No, they are not compatible, we know. Share to help with this too ?
      You first have to convince the Fedora people that they will not
      introduce new incompatibilities before starting. I'd right merge, but
      also that is not happening as there is no interest. So what is the
      solution ? Shall I simply stop doing RPMforge ?

Is that the position you prefer to force me into ? Because I certainly did
not force you into using the repository.

I don't know even why you want to use RPMforge, there must be something
that is missing from EPEL ?

I am happy to learn what you want to do though, because it is easy to
criticize, but it takes time to do some work.

(And I hope the solution is not another repository, because we have been
there :-))