[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jun 30 13:16:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, David Hrbáč wrote:

> Dag Wieers napsal(a):
>
>> The difference is that you can only install one distribution, but you can
>> install tons of incompatible repositories.
>>
>> And the believe that one repo will rule them all (which is what Fedora and
>> EPEL wants you to believe) is just debunked by yourself above :-)
>>
>> The most important reason I still have RPMforge is because I don't want to
>> let my users down because there is no real upgrade path (the fact that you
>> for some reason need RPMforge is the proof).
>>
>> If the last user wants to turn off the light, then I know I can start
>> doing something else ;-)
>>
>> PS To be honest, we could use some more people that want to help, if
>> something is missing or not being maintained, offer to maintain it !
>> But don't expect me (or dries, christoph, fabian, ...) to fix it because
>> that simply *does* *not* *scale*.
>>
>> PS2 I discussed with christoph to set up a proper project management
>> system that would encourage collaboration more. But we don't need more
>> bugs, we need more people to help fix bugs, really.
>
> I'd like to say this. Dag et al have done wonderful job and I thank you
> for it Dag. But we (the community, fellow I know, myself) have been
> wanting and willing to cooperate on much huge basis, I personally feel
> this way. I'm talking about rpmrepo.org project. I guess Dag's interest
> in this project was driven by the problems with his repo too which some
> of you are complaining about. The aim was to create platform, not
> strictly focused on enterprise. We wanted create something mixed.
> Something with enterprise, testing, backport levels and efforts. The
> project has been started but never really haven't happened.

Yes, I feel not happy about it.

> So we have centosplus and extras which are the repos with "access
> denied" for packages inclusion. Dag's rpmforge which is so huge with a
> lot of dependencies not suitable for "testing/bleeding edge/alternative"
> packages. So what's the suitable repo? That's why people are going to
> run own repos.... :o( I do it myself.
>
> I guess we need suitable platform we can use within the centos community
> and we need it now.

The biggest problem for me is that we do not have the infrastructure in
RPMforge. I still need to build the x86 and x86_64 stuff, Fabian does the
PPC packages.

Various people maintain SPEC files and contribute changes. But they only
get pushed when Fabian or me initiate it. I don't want to sit in the
middle, but without setting up new infrastructure and processes we'll
continue to use what works now.

It's not optimal, but it works.

And we know about things that can be improved, but without people helping
with QA and automate reporting problems, we just continue the way it is.