[CentOS] OT: Linux WYSIWYG HTML Editors

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jun 30 19:32:02 UTC 2009

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Robert Heller<heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >> I have KomPozer installed, but after using M$ FrontPage for years,
> >> KomPozer looks like it is going to have a learning curve and I want to
> >> get away from FrontPage and Windows.  I know Mark (MHR) uses
> >> SeaMonkey. Wondering if there is anything else I can use on Linux that
> >> is easier on a FrontPage user. I found this article:
> >> <http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmleditors/tp/aatpwyslinux.htm> when I
> >> googled. Recommendations?  TIA!
> >
> > First of all WYSIWYG and HTML are really mutually exclusive ideas.  The
> > The other option is to move away from 'hand edited HTML' and use a
> > web-based CMS, such as WordPress.
>
> Curious about WordPress, although it's blogging SW. I installed it
> (and the dependencies) with yum, but it's not shown in the GNOME
> "Applications" menu. How do I launch WordPress?

WordPress is NOT a local desktop application.  It only makes sense
installed on a web server.  Unless you are running Apache (httpd), and
MySQL server on your desktop machine, it really makes little sense to
install it there.  I have it on *my* 'desktop' machine, but I am indeed
running Apache, MySQL server, etc. and have my 'desktop' machine set up
to be a local (not seen on the public InterNet) web server -- I do this
to test things like CGI scripts, web pages, and (presently) WordPress
hacks (I am coding my own WordPress theme for my company website). *I*
do this so as to confine in-development bugs [eg 500 Internal Server
Error type messages], etc. to my local machine and not put up totally
broken web sites while I work on stuff.  I would expect that you are
not going to be messing with PHP code or write your own theme from
scratch, etc.  What you need to do is talk to your hosting provider
about getting WordPress installed on your web host.  This also means
your hosting provider needs to set you up with a MySQL database w/
MySQL username & password.  Once that is done you would just launch the
web browser of your choice (eg Firefox, Seamonkey, etc.) and go to
http://your.domain.com/ and set things up from there.