[CentOS] Best CentOS to install on *old* laptop?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 19:59:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Bart Schaefer
<barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've found an old IBM OmniBook 800 and am curious whether I can get it
> going again.  (Currently it boots either Windows 95 or some
> then-contemporary version of Slackware.)  The CDROM is external (SCSI,
> I think) and the machine won't boot from it, so it'd require a boot
> floppy.  Any suggestions?  Or is CentOS entirely the wrong Linux to be
> thinking about for this?

Its hard for us scavengers to do, but sometimes the better question
is: Is this hardware worth putting Linux on?

First I couldn't find an IBM Omnibook but I found HP ones...

http://www.gbnet.net/~richard/digital/omni.html

Basically, the system is pretty low end and maybe would run CentOS-2.1
or 3.9 but would be pretty much pushing it to do so. The hardware is
circa 1995 or so and would probably want something from the Red Hat
5.2/6.2 days versus even CentOS-2.1.

Long term you are probably going to want a different OS like Damn
Small Linux as the Omnibook looks like it hs 64 or less MB.

http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=20595

Most of the time, I find that the batteries are going and
non-replaceable so I find that sending them to the computer recycling
center better than trying to put something on it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux