[CentOS] Cannot open port 631 for Cups printer sharing

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:41:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 16:00 -0500, b.j. mcclure wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 15:31 -0500, JohnS wrote:

> > > Perhaps I misunderstand your suggestion but cupsd.conf is identical for
> > > the machine that works properly and the one upon which I cannot get port
> > > 631 open, even on localhost.
> > >
> > Try this: netstat -n -l -p | grep 631 Maybe a another process has it but
> > I think you did say it did not come up with nmap? Last option I know to
> > check would be to see if it has a socket file in /var/run/cups. It needs
> > that before it will listen on port 631.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> [root at webserver ~]# netstat -n -l -p | grep 631
> tcp        0      0 ::1:631                     :::*
> LISTEN      6941/cupsd
> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631                 0.0.0.0:*
> 6941/cupsd

That's hard to understand because its there.

> Looks like cups has it and cups.sock does exist in /var/run/cups.
>
> [root at webserver ~]# ls /var/run/cups
> certs  cups.sock
>
> > I've herd many people say the config is the same as the machine but why
> > not just take it and try it on the one that want work, then service cups
> > restart. Remember something there are no two machines ever alike!
>
> Of course you are right about no two machines being identical.  I did as
> requested and copied the working config file to the non working box with
> no change.  Port 631 still closed.  I also ran nmap against the
> apparently closed port with the -P0 option and it shows "closed" as
> distinguished from filtered.

Shut down SE Linux. or put it in Permissive mode. Netstat shows it is
there but something is a killing it. There seems to be Hundreds of posts
pertaining to your problem. Going back all the way to 2003. Also there
is reports in redhat bugzilla some solved and some not.

JohnStanley