[CentOS] Need Broadcom 4311 firmware for CentOS 5

Robert Nichols

rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Mar 3 16:29:48 UTC 2009

Any hope of getting my laptop's Broadcom BCM94311 wireless running
on CentOS 5?  I find lots of references to using fwcutter to get
the needed firmware from Windows drivers, but there's a Catch-22:

    Version of fwcutter that generate files for the bcm43xx driver
    in CentOS 5 don't recognize the md5sum of any currently
    available Windows driver.

    Newer versions of fwcutter do recognize my Windows XP driver
    files, but generate output in a newer format that is not
    compatible with the bcm43xx driver.

I've been searching and fighting this for quite some time.  I
have a Fedora 10 installation that runs the wireless just fine
on that laptop (Lenovo 3000 N200), but I really hate the churn
and instability of Fedora.  I was hoping that CentOS 5.3 might
include a backported b43 driver, but I grabbed a preliminary
version of the new kernel (2.6.18-132), and it still has the
old bcm43xx.ko driver.

                 Do NOT delete it.