[CentOS] HPLIP 3.9.2

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:14:32 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 12:26:21 Roger Wells wrote:
> > As I wrote elsewhere, it doesn't need to be so bleeding edge.  I have a
> > stock 5.2 install.  My Photosmart 7180 was not supported.  I downloaded
> > the relevant .ppd and pointed CUPS and hplip to it, and printing worked
> > after that.
> >

> How about scanning?

Sorry for the delay - I  had to go out.

Last month the village had severe power problems, and my server's (CentOS)
~/.kde was completely trashed.  It broke a lot of things, and I'm only still
finding and correcting them.  However...

It seems that I got printing working through CUPS, but didn't get around to
re-installing hplip.  I tried to, using the supplied version, but it did not
find the installed printer.  I then tried the hplip-3.9.2.run - presumably
left over from the last install?  Anyway, it flagged up a couple of
dependencies which I fixed, then got to libusb.  Libusb is installed, but it
couldn't find it.  And there I stuck.

I don't have time to do any more on this today, but I'll get back to you
if/when I get it sorted.  I may have to ask a question on-list about why it
can't see the package (or is this another case of too early a version?).  I'll
see what I can do.

FWIW, the version running on this Mandriva 2009 laptop is 2.8.7 - that gives
me all the print tools, but fails to find the scanner.  My Fedora 10 netbook
has 2.8.12-6.fc10 - and works, including the scanner, both from the hp-toolbox
and from applications.  I have a feeling that this 2.8.12 is the version that
I installed manually a long time ago, being the earliest that could support
the PhotoSmart 7180.  Tomorrow I'll try to find the packages for that, and see
whether I can install that on the CentOS box.

Anne