[CentOS] Centos 5.x SElinux issues

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Thu Mar 5 20:06:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Noob Centos Admin wrote:

> Just my noob opinion, that if there's no practical and definitive
> benefit from enabling SELinux, for the time being until it is matured,
> the best thing to do is just set it to off. Otherwise, it just
> generally causes trouble and runs up tons of log as it is.
>
> I'd love to be enlightened on this though :)

There are VERY definitive benefits to running SELinux.  The best
description I've found is that it is like an iron cage on the inside of
a window.  Even if something gets past the glass, its still inside a
window.  I've had SELinux stop exploits against php scripts on
production servers.  It is also a great training tool for teaching you
what "common practices" you've picked up are a bad idea (ie, cp'ing
stuff around as root).

That said, it does generate some very obtuse log messages (the
deciphering of which will teach you even more).