[CentOS] compile driver before X starts

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Mar 6 04:08:40 UTC 2009

Jerry Geis wrote:

> I was hoping to find an "automated" solution.

For these sorts of things, I compile the driver on a test
system and push it out simultaneously with the new kernel.

Right now I only have to do this for VMWare's drivers, I
build custom RPMs of the drivers and the tools and push
them out when I push out a new kernel so I don't need to
worry about this kind of thing.

[root at dc1-rhel5-32build001 ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i vmware
VMWareToolsOnly-3.5.0-123630-1
VMWare-esx-guest-drivers-2.6.18_92.1.22.el5-1
[root at dc1-rhel5-32build001 ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i kernel
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
kernel-headers-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5

nate