[CentOS] I have a test system that hangs hard...

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Sat Mar 7 17:02:45 UTC 2009

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have a test system:  Centos 5.2 on an OQO, that has been hanging
> hard.  I have to unplug it and pull the battery so I can then cold start it.
>
> This last time all I did was open a terminal window and SU to root, then
> start the lastest build of SIP Communicator (which uses JRE 1.6.0_10).
> I was not even making a test phone call at the time.  Oh, and the system
> only runs IPv6, no v4 addressing.
>
> So how do I find out what is causing the hard lockups?

if the problem is triggered reproducibly by building SIP C, then just
don't use X when starting the build; change to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1)
and watch out for kernel messages indicating a software (kernel) problem.

If the problem is due to hardware, there is a chance that memtest86+
will find bad memory. If it's a bad disk, you can check with smartctl.
There's are burn-in programs available; I use burnCPU to put load on
multi-core systems. Compiling the Linux kernel a hundred times in a row
is also a good test; not a single build should fail.

HTH,

Kay