[CentOS] LSI Logic MegaRAID 8480 Storage controller

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Mon Mar 9 17:14:41 UTC 2009

>There is a MegaCLI command line interface that runs under the operating
>system.  Normally I prefer command line tools.  But this software is big,
>and complex.  All I have been able to find is a reference manual,
>that has lots of typos and is not very well organized for me to learn
>what I need to know.  I have not been able to find a tutorial for this
>software.  It will take more time than I have at the moment to figure
>out this tool.

Huh? It's one tiny binary, and the syntax is trivial? You are looking at
something else... Its own help is decent and it installs via rpm on RHEL.

>Finally there is the MegaRAID Storage Manager a GUI tool that
>runs under the OS.  I'm running v2.77-00

Now that's a big steaming pile of dung :) I can't make any sense of
that darn at the best of times :)

What you need is the mr_sas_sw_ug.pdf from lsi's site.

Display the VD's/LD's:

Table 3.35 Display Virtual Disk Information
Convention CmdTool -LDInfo -Lx|-L0,1,2|-Lall -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
Description Displays information about the virtual disk(s) on the selected adapter(s). This
information includes the name, RAID level, RAID level qualifier, size in megabytes,
state, stripe size, number of drives, span depth, cache policy, access policy, and
ongoing activity progress, if any, including initialization, background initialization,
consistency check, and reconstruction.

Pick the one you want, then delete:

Table 3.33 Delete Specified Virtual Disks
Convention CmdTool -CfgLDDel -Lx|-L0,1,2|-Lall -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
Description Deletes the specified virtual disk(s) on the selected adapter(s). You can delete one
virtual disk, multiple virtual disks, or all the selected virtual disks on selected
adapter(s).

HTH,
jlc