[CentOS] Video Editing

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:12:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Bo Lynch <blynch at ameliaschools.com> wrote:
> On Wed, March 11, 2009 8:30 am, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Bo Lynch <blynch at ameliaschools.com>
>> wrote:
>>> This is kind of a new area for me so I thought I would get the lists
>>> opinion.
>>> I have a avi video that I need to edit. The main thing that I need to
>>> accomplish is to maybe cut the top 1/3 of the frame and blur out a few
>>> faces. What would you guys recommend for an app that would accomplish
>>> this? Thanks in advance for any info.
>>
>> For the "cut" part of the task, I will suggest avidemux (from ATrpms).
>>  The "blur" part will require more powerful editing software such as
>> cinelerra (from RPMforge).

> Akemi,
>
> I have loaded cinelerra from rpmforge but I'm having a really hard time
> getting the avi to even show up in it. I open cinelerra and go to
> file>load files and select the avi video but nothing shows up. I know this
> is a valid file because I can play it. Is cinelerra capable of editing
> already created AVI?

According to the documentation,

"Because AVI (Audio-Video Interleave) is so fragmented with varied
audio and video codecs, you may not be able to play all AVI formatted
files."

It's not looking good.

My friend who is an expert in video editing mentioned the other day "LIVES":

http://lives.sourceforge.net/

I have not looked at it yet, but that is another possibility.

Akemi