[CentOS] hplip problems - configure: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"

Roger Wells ROGER.K.WELLS at saic.com
Thu Mar 12 14:45:27 UTC 2009

Roger Wells wrote:
> [...]
>> dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.
>>
>> Checking for dependency: ppdev - Parallel port support kernel module....
>> error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
>> that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.
>>
>> Checking for dependency: PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version
>> 4.x)...
>> error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
>> that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP
>>
>> Checking for dependency: PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4...
>> error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
>> that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.
>>
>> Checking for dependency: Python ctypes - A foreign function library for
>> Python...
>> error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
>> that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.
>>
>> Checking for dependency: Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus...
>> error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
>> that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.
>>
>> Checking for dependency: SANE - Scanning library development files...
>> error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/COMPILE TIME ONLY dependency. Please make
>> sure that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.
>>
>> I'll have to come back to this later in the week.
>>

> Anne et al.,
> I have followed the directions on the referenced link.  Good for HP for
> providing such clear instructions,
> however,
> All steps complete as hoped but hp-check gives 2 errors & 2 warnings:
> PyQt4 Dbus     error
> Python Dbus     error
> Reportlab           warning
> CUPS DDK       warning
>
> running hp-setup does seem to run and it let me install a printer
> although it issued an error:
> error: No PPD found for model laserjet_4350. Trying old algorithm...
>
> running hp-toolbox fails:
> [roger at rwells-rh hplip-3.9.2]$ hp-toolbox
> warning: python-dbus not installed.
>
> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.9.2)
> HP Device Manager ver. 15.0
>
> Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
> under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/hp-toolbox", line 246, in ?
>     from ui4.devmgr5 import DevMgr5
>   File "/usr/share/hplip/ui4/devmgr5.py", line 45, in ?
>     from dbus.mainloop.qt import DBusQtMainLoop
> ImportError: No module named mainloop.qt
>
> I will try a printer with a scanner at home tonight but I am not holding out
> much hope.
>
> Any ideas appreciated, thanks for everyone's time

I actually did install the home printer last night (Photosmart C6180).
"hp-setup' ran fine, discovered the printer and installed it just as it
did for the LJ4350 (it didn't find the correct PPD file but...).
The good news is that even though hp-toolbox won't run the Centos
Scanner Tool works.
It discovered the scanner correctly and I was able to operate with it as
expected.  The scanner is also available within appropriate applications
such as OpenOffice and the Gimp.

So maybe we don't need hp-toolbox so much after all.

roger wells