[CentOS] hplip problems - configure: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"

Roger Wells ROGER.K.WELLS at saic.com
Thu Mar 12 15:59:04 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 12 March 2009 14:45:27 Roger Wells wrote:
>
>> I actually did install the home printer last night (Photosmart C6180).
>> "hp-setup' ran fine, discovered the printer and installed it just as it
>> did for the LJ4350 (it didn't find the correct PPD file but...).
>> The good news is that even though hp-toolbox won't run the Centos
>> Scanner Tool works.
>> It discovered the scanner correctly and I was able to operate with it as
>> expected.  The scanner is also available within appropriate applications
>> such as OpenOffice and the Gimp.
>>
>> So maybe we don't need hp-toolbox so much after all.
>>

> Glad you got it working, Roger.  I knew I wouldn't have time to have another
> go at this until tomorrow.  So did you use the 3.9.2 version?  Anything to
> report about the actual installation?

yes the hplip version is 3.9.2.   First I removed the installed version
which was 1.6.7, I think.  Then I followed the
directions at:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/centos.html

This went well but the "hp-check" near the end indicated two or three
errors that would show up at run-time were
present.  These are some of what we have been discussing in this thread
and are apparently the ones that will prevent
"hp-toolbox" from running.  They do not apparently affect "hp-setup".
.
Run hp-setup as root (the only way) and it should find your printers.
For each of mine a warning was issued:

error: No PPD found for model laserjet_4350. Trying old algorithm...

In the case of the C6180 this resulted in all printing going to 4x6 inch
pages to a printer that only had photograph
page size options.  When offered to search for PPD files during
installation you can take that route and search
in /usr/share/ppd/HP for a more appropriate driver.  Why "hp-setup"
doesn't find drivers there I don't know.
I had to select the one with the ".gz" extension to avoid an error about
a missing "foomatic-rip-hplip" something
or other.  You can apparently do this "PPD" changeover after installation.

I did that with the C6180.  If it still insists on printing in a 4x6
format I will report back.

As I said earlier the Centos 5.2 Scanner Tool seems to work just fine.

HTH,
roger